Steam-water separation is one of critical process in the steam boiler system especially in steam drum. Steam is usually installed in steam generators and high pressure boilers. The principal purpose is to allow for separation of saturated steam out of the mixture of steam-water and then goes to superheater for next process. The saturated steam is released via several outlet nozzles for special utilization or even further more heating.
In addition for place steam-water separation, steam drum also assists for following below:
- Offer restricted water storage to support quick adjustments in boiler load.
- Eliminate element of water (solids content) via blowdown to manage the chemistry of boiler water.
- Cleanse the steam to eliminate impurities and left over moisture.
- Combine the control of chemicals water treatment and also corrosion.
- Combine the saturated water staying right after steam-water separation with feedwater.
Even so, the principal purpose of the steam drum is to allow the efficient performance of steam-water separation. This particular can be obtained by supplying a huge steam-water surface area to perform separation through natural gravity or also by way of owning adequate area for mechanical equipment to perform steam-water separation.
Steam-water separation should be performed efficiently because it is important in almost all steam boiler uses so that they can:
- Avoid the solids broken down in the steam are carried over directly into superheater in which destroying deposits may possibly be made.
- Reduce steam is carried under inside water which departing the steam drum in which left over steam could decrease the performance of hydraulic head pump.
- Avoid water droplet is carried over straight into reheater, superheater and steam turbine in which thermal destruction could happen.
Boiler water may perhaps consist of impurities, especially in solution. Impurities occur from inside make-up water, leakage in the condensate process and chemicals treatment. Moreover small quantities of the solids inside steam (under 0.5 ppm) could harm reheater, superheater and steam turbine generator.
Due to the fact the solids solubility is commonly some requirements of specifications inside steam not as much as inside water, little quantity of water droplet which is carried over (in excess of 0.26% simply by weight) might effect in substantially enhanced unwanted deposition and also the carry-over of solids into reheater, superheater and steam turbine generator. The deposits can lead to steam turbine deterioration in addition to increases temperature of superheater tube, so it can be over heat.