The fire protection system in power plant is furnished to shield the power plant towards fire deterioration to prevent damage of life and building. Fire protection system is presented to identify fire in its incipient phase and also to actuate the system to extinguish fire. Fire protection system should supply alarm system which shows caution in the event of fire to induce fire battling staff and also some other operation personnel to get essential action. In combination with permanent automatic program, portable and mobile devices are also offered for fire extinguishing.
The designer power plant should provide a complete fire protection system that furnished with all required building, equipment and accessories to form a complete fire protection system as define by related NFPA codes, standard and recommended practices codes, as listed below:
- Recommended practice for tire protection for electric generating plants and high voltage direct current converter stations shall be per NFPA 850.
- Yard mains and outdoor fire hydrant shall be in accordance with NFPA 24 and 26.
- Stand pipes and hose systems shall be pre NFPA 14, 1961 and 1962.
- Automatic fire detectors, Fire Alarms and tire protection actuation system, shall be per NFPA 72A-E.
- Portable fire extinguisher and dry chemical extinguishing system shall be per NFPA 10 and 17.
- Automatic and manual sprinkler systems shall be per NFPA 13, 231 and 231C.
- Dry chemical systems shall be per NFPA 17.
- Carbon dioxide systems shall be per NFPA 12.
- Clean Agent Extinguishing System shall be per NFPA 2001.
- Water spray fixed systems shall be per NFPA 15.
- Fire water valves shall be per NFPA 13, 14, 15, 20, 24 and 26.
- Fire pumps shall be per NFPA 13, NFPA 20, UL and FM.
- Water supply shall be per NFPA 13, 15, 20 and 22.
- The deluge fire protection system shall be per NFPA 13 & NFPA 15.
- The water and foam monitors shall be provided per NFPA 11.
- Protection clothing and helmets shall be provided per NFPA 1971 and 1972.
- Breathing apparatus shall be provided per NFPA 1981.
- Standard for wet chemical extinguishing system shall be per NFPA 17A.
- Flammable and combustible liquids code shall be per NFPA 30.
- Recommended practice for tire flow testing and marking of hydrants shall be per NFPA 291.
The fire protection system design shall be adequate for the site condition, to provide a high degree of protection to the plant, equipment, buildings and employees.
The fire protection system in power plant shall also provide complete set of portable tire extinguishers and wheel cargo extinguishers, protective clothing and helmets, tools, breathing apparatus, etc. in the appropriated buildings / area.
The methods of fire protection systems in power plant as follow:
- Hydrant system
- Water spray system
- Foam system
- Inert gas system
- Potable and mobile fire extinguishers