Rice husk can be used as fuel for steam boiler. Rice husk is the shielding covers for the rice grain that is taken off and declined in the operation of dehusking of rice grinding. Huge quantities of rice husk are produced in the rice grinds for the duration of the farming period. Rice husk varieties among 20% until 25% of excess weight of dried out rice.
The following below are characteristics of rice husk as boiler fuel:
- Rice husk needs much area for storeroom. Rice husk is natural, consequently, to try multi fuel firing in order to maintain off-period.
- Along with rice husk's calorific value of 3500 kcal/kg, it is desirable fuel with the exception of seasonal availability.
- Rice husk has standard size commonly less than 3 mm, so it does not need specific preparation of fuel.
- Rice husk is quite waterless, just comprising moisture between 7% until 9% and uncompressible intended for baling reasons.
- It possesses 15% until 20% ash in addition to ash is very abrasive, because it has silica to level of 90%.
Stoker firing can be beneficial and uncomplicated firing process for rice husk. Its small fan electrical power, easy to operates and smooth 1: 4 turndown generate it preferably appropriate for rice husk.
Bubbling fluidized bed combustion can be an option, because rice husk provides beneficial 15% until 20% ash to produce bed substance and it is adequately weighty to remain in bed, in contrast to light substance like bagasse. The bigger fan electrical power is countered by improved efficiency of combustion between 2% until 4%. The designs must state along with abrasion concerns. Based on an erosion point of view, overbed bubbling fluidized bed combustion seems much better compared to underbed.